Early absenteeism, in preschool and Kindergarten, has a significant effect on a child's ability to learn and to master reading.
- If a student misses two days of school a month from Kindergarten through Grade 8, that student will have missed an entire year of school.
- Chronic absence - missing only two school days a month - can translate into third graders unable to master reading, sixth graders struggling with math concepts and ninth graders dropping out of high school.
- Students attending 90% of school days are able to read at grade level...the MOST important indicator of future success.
- When students improve their attendance rates and punctuality, they improve their academic prospects and chances for graduating, and develop good habits for life.
- Students who attend school regularly tend to be more engaged in their learning and feel more connected to the school than students who are often absent.
HOW FAMILIES CAN HELP:
- Tips for parents/guardians of preschool students
- Tips for parents/guardians of elementary students
- Tips for parents/guardians of high school students
United Way Attendance Matters 2019 (long version) NEW Oct 2019!
United Way Attendance Matters 2019 (short version) NEW Oct 2019!